Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Montana

I painted this last week just off the Beartooth Hwy. What a trip that was. SCENIC! and a little scary...the Montana part has guardrails and a 70mph speed limit although 20 is plenty fast on the many switchback turns. There is no naturally occurring pass through the Beartooth Mountains, so they put the road over the top. Spectacular. By the time I reached Cooke City my face was sore...from grinning at the landscape around every curve.

Notice my car door is open....just in case Grizzly should come out of the trees behind me, while I am totally absorbed in my painting. Apparently everyone should be carrying bear mace, especially oblivious artists.

This was just the beginning of a fabulous week out west in which I saw wolves, elk, pronghorn, mountain goats and bison in rutting season. The maneuvers and skirmishes of the two ton male bison are earnest and surprisingly graceful. Those guys know that dancing fast and light on your hoofs is useful for impressing girls. Loud snorting.......?well? who knows.

This is a 9 x 12 on a piece of recycled Wallis paper at around 8000ft. above sea level.


1 comment:

Zoe Tilley Poster said...

Wow - it is beautiful there, and I love all three of your paintings. I know you'll get good use out of that park pass, too. Where next?