Monday, October 3, 2011

Minnesota


Visiting friends and family, I chose this view of the industrial side of the Port of Duluth. I like the open expanse of the sky. In the east we often have "keyholes" that pass for sky....most of it being hidden by trees or tall buildings, so when I go west I spend several days being thrilled by so much sky! I am also drawn to the simple, yet interesting shapes of grain elevators and railroad yard buildings. This Sunday afternoon painting has a calm utilitarian color scheme. It is 9 x 12 and was made with the constraints of my airplane travel sized pastel selection and easel box. It is on a grey piece of Richeson board.

Some of you have asked how I choose my subjects. I would have to answer, "by the seat of my pants." Several factors influence my choices; time, light and personal preference. I don't look for iconic subjects...this project is not about painting all 50 state capitol buildings...or prettiest lakes, or tallest mountains. It is more about challenging myself to be able to find a subject and make a painting that interests me, sometimes on the spur of the moment, often before the sun sets and sometimes before I have to catch my plane. Working on deadline most of my life, in free-lance illustration, has equipped me with the ability to work under pressure. I enjoy a challenge.

No comments: